A loyal Boston 1775 reader alerted me to this event in Philadelphia.
The Historical Society of Pennsylvania will host a display of documents related to George Washington on one day only this week: Wednesday, 3 August, from 12:30 to 7:30 P.M. The display will include:
- one of Washington’s pocket diaries.
- Martha Washington’s cookbook and household journal while she was in Philadelphia.
- the diary of Washington’s private secretary, Tobias Lear (shown here, courtesy of USHistory.org), who chronicled the President’s last days and death (quoted back here)
- a lock of Washington’s hair
- portraits of Washington by Charles Willson Peale and Gilbert Stuart.
For those of us not able to visit Philadelphia on short notice, the society will make digital images of the documents and artifacts and create an online display by the end of the summer.