- RT @SecondVirginia: The Baltimore Sun on Mount Vernon: George Washington's Estate & Gardens whiskey distillery fb.me/RgQg5NVN #
- RT @SecondVirginia: Copper thieves target historic Virginia buildings in Fredericksburg fb.me/PIOTgfIn #
- RT @LondonReview: RT @murzee 'The 400 richest Americans are now richer than the bottom 50 percent combined' bit.ly/eQjT0C #
- RT @56Signers irony, considering Robert Treat Paine irked by actress daughter-in-law: one descendant is #actor Treat Williams. #
- Story behind America's 1st honorary medical degree, granted by #Yale in 1723: bit.ly/hUpYDE #
- How many #RevWar redcoats had trade skills? Don Hagist surveys data on 22d Regt, counts a bit over half bit.ly/eyA1Iy #
- Would like to share great story from #Yale alumni magazine about identifying 18th-c Newport furniture, but it's not on the web (yet?). #
- AP report and photo of recently auctioned 1765 lottery ticket signed by John Hancock: yhoo.it/gtMTsa #
- As I recall, John Hancock himself won a lottery about 1772, when he was already one of the richest men in Boston. #
- Downloadable interview with Gordon Wood on John Adams, "best and most colorful stylist among the Founders": bit.ly/fi4oPM #
- RT @RagLinen: The First 25 American Newspapers: ow.ly/4ctx0 #history #journalism #ushist #newspaper // 6 of first 10 in Boston #
- Americans' fear and bigotry against Catholics in 1700s as parallel to fear and bigotry against Muslims today: bit.ly/hlxTWK #
- Argument against US Constitution's equality toward all religions, 1788: bit.ly/gH7Y6m #
That psychedelic pattern at the left is a grayscale reproduction of Henry Pelham’s map of the siege of Boston. I had the John Bonner 1722 map of Boston on my tie, so I matched. The message on the screen reflects my claim to have named some intelligence sources for the first time. My hair? I can’t explain that.
While you’re at Seamus’s site, check out his sketches and pages for a graphic novel set during the Revolutionary War.