J. L. BELL is a Massachusetts writer who specializes in (among other things) the start of the American Revolution in and around Boston. He is particularly interested in the experiences of children in 1765-75. He has published scholarly papers and popular articles for both children and adults. He was consultant for an episode of History Detectives, and contributed to a display at Minute Man National Historic Park.

Subscribe thru Follow.it





•••••••••••••••••



Tuesday, April 02, 2013

A Hard Case

This is the case I chose for my iPhone 4 last year. It shows Boston during the siege of 1775-76, from a nineteenth-century map based on precursors by Henry Pelham and others, and comes on a smooth, solid, padded plastic case. It’s available through the wallarts store at Zazzle.

I wouldn’t have mentioned such a modern product, even though I use it and like it, but the folks at Declaration Clothing got in touch with me about their offerings.

I thought their “Join or Die” skin for the iPhone 5 also looked handsome. This design doesn’t provide all the protection of the case (it sticks onto the back instead of wrapping around the edges), but it’s real wood with a real eighteenth-century image etched onto it.

Declaration Clothing also offers a variety of T-shirts condemning the Stamp Act, celebrating John Paul Jones, and the like. Some of the designs are striking.

[This isn’t a paid advertisement for either product or dealer; I just thought some members of the Revolutionary War fandom might like to browse the offerings on those sites.]

4 comments:

G. Lovely said...

Rest assured this is one of very few sites I would never assume guilty of commercial puffery.

In this era of instantaneous communication I've tried to impress upon my children, you can always sell your credibility, but you can only sell it once.

T. Frantz said...

I own a lot of Declaration's stuff. It's all really good quality, so I highly recommend it!

I've also talked to one of the partners who run the company, and they seem like pretty cool, down-to-earth guys.

John Mc said...

I can't find that map iphone case on Zazzle. Do you have a direct link?

J. L. Bell said...

Click on the picture for a direct link.