J. L. BELL is a Massachusetts writer who specializes in (among other things) the start of the American Revolution in and around Boston. He is particularly interested in the experiences of children in 1765-75. He has published scholarly papers and popular articles for both children and adults. He was consultant for an episode of History Detectives, and contributed to a display at Minute Man National Historic Park.

Follow by Email


Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Sheriff Greenleaf and Col. Crafts Read the Declaration

In October 1841, Daniel Greenleaf (1762-1853) wrote to a Boston newspaper from his home in Quincy. He was correcting some recollections of Revolutionary Boston from Thomas Handasyd Perkins (1764-1854), who he thought was too young to remember events clearly:

The Declaration of Independence was read by William Greenleaf (my father), the sheriff. . . . My father was so proud of that proclamation that he had the paper from which he read it framed and glassed, and it hung over his parlor fireplace as long as he was a housekeeper.

As his voice was rather weak, he requested Colonel [Thomas] Crafts to act as his herald; they stood together at the front of the balcony, and my father read a sentence, which was immediately repeated by Crafts, and so continued to the end, when was the huzza. . . .

The lion and unicorn [from the Town House] were burnt on the evening of the declaration on a bonfire, in front of the Bunch of Grapes [tavern], as were the king’s arms from the Court-House, and all signs bearing emblems of royalty that could be found.
This first public reading of the Declaration in Boston took place on 18 July 1776, when its text reached Boston from Philadelphia. Col. Crafts’s artillery regiment and other military units were drawn up in the streets below the balcony on the Town House, now called the Old State House. Also among the listeners were a couple of British officers captured aboard a transport ship.

The lion and unicorn were heraldic symbols of the British king. Though they were burned in 1776, when the Old State House was preserved from being dismantled and was instead “restored” in 1882, reproductions went back up, as shown above, courtesy of iBoston.org. Here’s a color photo of the lion and unicorn, and a close-up of the unicorn.

Greenleaf’s letter appears to have been published first in the Boston Transcript on 2 Aug 1855. I think it’s a reliable picture of the event because he wasn’t just puffing up his father, who as sheriff did indeed have the duty of reading important proclamations. He also acknowledged that Papa had a weak voice and needed Crafts’s stentorian help.


Anonymous said...

Bravo, Bravo, Bravo! When I lead walking tours I'm often asked for more details about that first reading of the Declaration. Thank you for providing them.

S. Talbot

Pamela Athearn Filbert said...

Portraits of Sheriff Greenleaf and his wife currently hang in the Portland Art Museum, along with that of their son James. I happened upon them one day while visiting with my mother, noted the Greenleaf name, and did some research. I was pleased to discover the Declaration of Independence connection, and now always make it a point to stop by and "visit" my distant cousins when I'm in the building.