J. L. BELL is a Massachusetts writer who specializes in (among other things) the start of the American Revolution in and around Boston. He is particularly interested in the experiences of children in 1765-75. He has published scholarly papers and popular articles for both children and adults. He was consultant for an episode of History Detectives, and contributed to a display at Minute Man National Historic Park.

Subscribe thru Follow.it





•••••••••••••••••



Saturday, August 12, 2017

Abigail Adams Birthplace Tours, 13 Aug. & 10 Sept.

On 13 Oct 1764, Abigail Smith sent a note to the young lawyer John Adams from Boston:
When I wrote you by the Doctor I was in hopes that I should have been out the next day, but my disorder did not leave me as I expected and I am still confind extreemly weak, and I believe low spirited. The Doctor encourages me, tells me I shall be better in a few days. I hope to find his words true, but at present I feel, I dont know how, hardly myself. I would not have the Cart come a tuesday but should be extreemly glad to see you a Monday.
Twelve days later, Abigail was recovered enough to marry John at the house of her father, the Rev. William Smith.

On Sunday, 13 August, that house, now named the Abigail Adams Birthplace in Weymouth, will be open for tours. This is the one day of this month when people can visit the building without making special arrangements in advance. The next such day, 10 September, will also feature apple cider pressing.

People can view the Abigail Adams Birthplace on that Sunday by guided tours only, starting on the hour and half-hour from 1:00 to 3:30 P.M. The building is located at 180 Norton Street in North Weymouth. Admission is $5, $1 for children under age twelve.

3 comments:

Karen A. Chase said...

At last I will be in the area to take part in a tour you have mentioned on your blog. I'll be in the Massachusetts area at a fellowship the whole month of September. So Abigail Adams here I come!

Karen A. Chase said...

As a follow-up to my earlier post above, I did visit Abigail's birthplace today, Sept 10. I also read on your blog about the talk in Cambridge with the Levinson’s on Sept 9th. I made a weekend of it, also fitting in a trip to John Adams’ birthplace. It was lovely to see where they grew up, met, married, wrote to one another, and he drafted the Massachusetts Constitution.

I thank you for the tips, and the ladies of Abigail Adams Historical Society do, too. I joined the AAHS today as a result of the trip–we mustn’t forget the ladies as Abigail once said. The AAHS also mentioned that they’ve raised enough funds to “keep the heat on” so they’ll now be opening the house once a month (on the second Sunday), with special programming to come, too.

J. L. Bell said...

Great to hear you had a good time!