J. L. BELL is a Massachusetts writer who specializes in (among other things) the start of the American Revolution in and around Boston. He is particularly interested in the experiences of children in 1765-75. He has published scholarly papers and popular articles for both children and adults. He was consultant for an episode of History Detectives, and contributed to a display at Minute Man National Historic Park.

Subscribe thru Follow.it





•••••••••••••••••



Saturday, December 31, 2022

Inaugurating a Boston 1775 Membership Tier

When I launched Boston 1775 in 2006, it was on the front side of a wave of history blogs. Over time, public and professional attention shifted to group blogs, then social-media feeds, then podcasts.

This past year, a number of history bloggers moved to Substack and similar platforms that offer a combination of free and subscription-only content.

It also became clear to me that lots of people now read Boston 1775 by email rather than on the web. The posts in that channel arrive hours after they go live on this website, with different formatting, and ads I can’t control.

All that has made me want to try something beyond the 2006 approach. Since I’m wary of any enterprise that involves registering myself for new platforms, I decided to expand my use of Ko-fi. The initial concept behind that website was that you could use it to buy a creator a cup of coffee—i.e., make a quick thank-you gift of $3 or so. Now it’s offering a channel for sharing exclusive material.

I’ve therefore created a Boston 1775 membership tier on Ko-fi called “Buff and Blue.” People can still make small, one-time donations to my ice cream fund, and I’ll be heartily grateful. But for people who choose to send $3 each month, I’ll respond with some exclusive “content,” as the kids say.

Presently I’m envisioning that content over the course of the year to include:
  • Four longer articles with full citations about the American Revolution. Some of those would be drawn from material that’s appeared on Boston 1775 or in publications no longer available, polished and updated.
  • Four reviews of books, articles, museums, historical novels, movies, or other cultural enterprises related to Revolutionary history.
  • Four invitations to ask questions about Revolutionary New England or propose topics for investigation, which could seed new blog posts or articles.
I’m not saying that Ko-fi subscriptions are necessary for me to continue my research and writing. (In fact, I paid more up front to upgrade my page.) I don’t expect this revenue stream to fund my research travel or books, or even my entire ice cream budget.

Rather, I’m committing to the extra content to push myself to be more productive. A daily deadline for the blog keeps me exploring new topics. A monthly deadline will, I hope, give me the impetus to reshape material into longer and longer-lasting forms and finish up articles I already have in the works.

So please check out the Boston 1775 page at Ko-fi and consider signing up for the extra “Buff & Blue” content. This is an experiment. At the end of 2023, I’ll solicit readers’ feedback, assess the enterprise, and make adjustments if necessary.

(In addition, I’ve created a Mastodon account. This software operates somewhat like Twitter, my preferred social-media network, but without the problems brought on by Twitter’s new ownership. If you’re already participating on that site, look for me at @jlbellwriter@mstdn.social.)

6 comments:

Don Carleton (Jr.) said...

Just signed up, you deserve more opportunities to monetize your fine research, John!

Although I don't know about "Buff and Blue"--as I recall, the original MA Continental line coats were sort of dirt brown with red and other facings. But I suppose "Red and Dirt Brown" doesn't quite have the same ring to it!

Anyway, best of luck with the new enterprise!

Peter Ansoff said...

I just joined, and look forward to the additional content. Happy New Year!

Charles Bahne said...

This is an excellent idea, John. I wish you success!

Two technical questions:

Is it possible to make one annual payment of $36, instead of monthly payments?

The only payment link I saw was for PayPal. Is it possible to join if I don't have a PayPal account?

All my best,

Charlie Bahne

J. L. Bell said...

I don’t see a Ko-fi option for one payment to cover the entire year or any period other than by month.

It’s possible to donate $36 or any other sum through the “One time” option. I don’t see a way for me to move a one-time donor into the members/subscribers group that will automatically receive all messages and links about member benefits. But I think I’ll be able to send such messages to one-time donors at a certain level.

PayPal ordinarily offers the option of paying through a credit or debit card without starting a PayPal account. Ko-fi says PayPal, not its site, handles all the finances, which suggests the card option should show up. However, I don’t know if that actually works.

J. L. Bell said...

I chose “Buff and Blue” as the name of the membership tier as a play on the phrase “history buff.” Of course it also refers to the Whiggish colors that George Washington chose for his independent militia companies in Virginia and then for the Continental Army officer corps.

Katie Turner Getty said...

Very happy for you, John, and tickled pink to join "Buff and Blue"!